We're Hiring! Manager of China Affairs
About the Responsible Business Alliance (RBA): The RBA is a business association committed to helping our members understand and improve the social and environmental challenges and opportunities in the global supply chain. Our vision is to help our members build an industry supply chain that consistently operates with social, environmental and economic responsibility. RBA accomplishes this through building and implementing programs and initiatives, including the Validated Assessment Process (VAP) and Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI).
We are currently hiring a Manager of China Affairs. This position is an exciting opportunity to work across RBA’s diverse programs to develop, deliver, and improve the RBA’s offering and services to companies primarily within China.
Anticipated Start Date
This position is available in Oct 2017 and interviews will take place until the position is filled.
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. RBA provides competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision health plans, and we contribute to local regulatory social securities.
This person will report directly to RBA Vice President of Compliance (based in Malaysia).
The Manager of China Affairs will serve as a key RBA representative in China and serve as the key China liaison with RBA HQ. Primary responsibilities include: developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders in China, providing support to member companies, providing program support to RBA HQ, conducting assessment observations, and delivering RBA training programs, including but not limited to the RBA Code, VAP, and RMI.
- Provide support to member companies on issues related to RBA Programs, i.e. contracting, status of assessments, new services, conferences, coordinate meetings
- Assessment Quality Oversight: Observe firms during VAP and RMI assessments, as needed. Collect data on the integrity of the assessor, the assessment firm, the program and the assessment report.
- Observe select RBA VAP assessments.
- Observe select RMI assessments in China.
- Debrief the assessors at the end of each assessment.
- Identify gaps with respect to assessors’ familiarity of RBA Code, VAP, and the RMI.
- Create a Shadow Assessment Report for each assessment observed with strengths and areas for improvement for the assessor team.
- Aggregate all data into reports for each firm on a quarterly basis.
- Determine trends across shadow assessments to develop assessor trainings on a quarterly basis.
- Deliver and administer the following training and testing as needed or indicated
- The two-day RBA Code training and one-day RBA VAP Process training.
- Responsible sourcing and due diligence training for assessors and smelters under the RMI.
- Invigilate and mark test papers for assessor qualification.
- Deliver quarterly one-hour webinar trainings for assessors and/or companies, with content to be based on the areas for improvement identified in the shadow assessments
- Contribute towards the positive evolution and development of the RBA VAP and RMI Programs to ensure that the highest ethical standards are maintained and stakeholder expectations are met.
- Support additional RBA projects, as assigned.
Required knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Labor, environment, health and safety, management systems, ethics, and metals/minerals due diligence.
- Supply chain and raw materials or responsible mineral sourcing issues related to the manufacturing supply chain.
- Protocols, standards, codes, critical legislation, and subjects like effective interview skills, document reviews, and site observations.
- Company validation and assessment expertise (RBA/RMI experience and/or RBA Approved Lead Assessor preferred).
- Ability to manage work independently, with a high level of technical independence and judgment.
- Confidence to identify and communicate problems, ask questions, and appropriately elevate concerns.
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, and implement new projects.
- Excellent listening, communication, and interpersonal skills with sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Ability to confidently engage with local, national, and international stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills, with a focus on public speaking, presentation, and training delivery.
- Strong writing skills, with a focus on technical language appropriate for audits and corrective action plans.
- Ability to multi-task and work on a number of projects with varying priority levels.
- Willingness to travel 50% of the time or more.
Required education and experience
- Minimum of 8 years of working experience with at least 5 years of experience in supply chain or assurances processes
- Bachelor degree in any discipline (Labor / Human Rights / Environmental / Health and Safety preferred)
- Ability to speak and write in multiple languages, fluency in English and Chinese at business level is required. Ability to speak other languages will be an added advantage.
- 2+ years training experience
- 2+ years of customer service experience
- 2+ years of conflict mineral due diligence consulting and / or assessment experience
Location / Additional Information
RBA HQ is in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. This position will be located in the RBA mainland China Beijing office however the applicant can work effectively from a home office. Reliable and High-Speed internet access is required. This position includes extensive travel, including travel to observe audits, deliver trainings, and attend relevant meetings and conferences. The candidate must be comfortable being away from home for long periods of time. Occasional evening calls may be required, to accommodate meetings in a U.S. time zone.
The RBA is looking for a motivated self-starter who is looking to see the world while bringing value to RBA members, workers in the supply chain, the environment and business.
How to apply
Please send cover letter, resume, salary expectations and availability to Chee Keong Lai at (clai@ResponsibleBusiness.Org) with “Manager of China Affairs” in the subject line. Please indicate where you learned about the position. Preliminary interviews will be phone and web based using Skype or GoToMeeting for a video interview. References will be required for final candidates.
Helpful / relevant links